Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Organic eating

So...We recently ordered a quarter of a cow.  Yes, I said a cow.  My friend, who is really good about eating healthily and organically and had gotten the same amount last year, was able to get it for us.  A lot of people here at the seminary were inquisitive.   

This lead to conversations about Josh's vegetarianism, which he has recently kind of quit. 
When he originally claimed this state of meatless existence, he told me he would eat meat only if it was free range (after reading an article about animal cruelty that really got to him).  Well, there was maybe one place that was accessible to us back in WV to buy it, and it was way too expensive.  Therefore, we started eating a lot of soy substitutes.  Here in St. Louis, however, there are a few options, so we started getting free range chicken and turkey.  We were never really able to find any beef that was actually labeled "free range".  It was always "hormone free" or "organic".  Don't get me wrong; these things are important, but they weren't priority for some reason.  Now that I think back on it, we were pretty much saying that we didn't want the animals to be treated cruelly, but it was okay for our boys to eat hormone infested meat.  What goofballs we are sometimes.  I digress.

I kept having all these moms ask me about buying a cow and also some who wanted to start eating organically because we are sort of doing that now.  Anyway, my friend that got the cow for us is way more knowledgeable about this stuff, so she and I decided to see if anyone wanted to get together to discuss this sort of thing.  Well, I thought maybe five people might want to come.  We actually have ten including me that want to come.  I'm really excited that so many people are trying to eat healthy.  I'm hoping it will keep us motivated to continue.

I don't know if this is coherent or not, but that's what is going on this week.

No comments: