Thursday, October 2, 2008

For the Birds

So...

Yesterday, I was ever so proud of myself because I was doing something cool for school with Max. We are currently studying animal life in science, and as we have just finished up mammals (all the while with Max declaring that HE WAS NOT A MAMMAL!) we moved on to bird life this week.  I got really excited because awhile back my dad had sent us these little cards on a chain, a flip chart of sorts, with birds on them.  I thought it would be fun to get out and do a nature walk and flip through the chart and learn about what birds we saw along the way.  Well, as I was preparing to go, I discovered that what dad had sent me were plants and trees.  Oh yeah, I remember now.  Argh, plan B.  Not a big deal, right?  I then decided we'd take the camera and just snap some pictures of a few birds that we saw, and then we would come back and look them up online to learn about them.  That would be fun.  We took Leo along because Josh and Finn really needed a nap, and I knew he'd have fun.

Let me just tell you that we walked around the seminary and even to a nearby park for a solid hour, and we did not see one bird.  Let me repeat, NOT ONE BIRD!  I couldn't believe it.  I realize it's late in the year and birds have probably started migrating, but not all of them for goodness' sake!  You'd think we would have at least seen a goose.  They're everywhere here. Well, the boys and I decided that the birds were all hiding on our "bird hunt" as they called it, and we had fun anyway.  

I'm bound and determined we're going to study some real live animals during this section of science, though.  I refuse to make them learn everything from a book.  SCHOOL WILL BE FUN! I guess we could go to the birdhouse at the zoo since they're all in hiding where we live. 

At least I got some cute pictures of the boys on our "bird hunt".  You might notice we were able to find some sticks/swords.



1 comment:

Jennifer said...

They are cute boys! It's hard to make school fun! I'm having a VERY hard time with that...Ben really gets into spelling with magnets on the refrigerator. Whatever works to keep them smiling through it!